RSS

Berry Good Smoothies

Everyday I wake up and think, I can't wait to have a Berry Good Smoothie.  Before I got sick, I used to rotate my coffees.  I was a gourmet coffee drinker long before Starbucks and Caribou came to down.  That was another world quest of mine, to find the best coffee in whatever country I happened to be in.  Of course when people would ask me, "what's your favorite country"?, I would often say Italy for two reasons, cappucino and gelato.  During my year and a half trip around Europe and the middle east, I found myself leaving Italy, only to return the next night on a night train in time for my morning cup of cappuchino and my evening activity of trying yet another gelati place and flavor. 
Before my husband and I were married, we met in Peru.  He would accompany me for a 30 minute taxi ride across town to have a cup of the finest cappuchino I could find in the Lima area.  Very early on he learned I was serious about my quest to find the best!  Now knowing that, you can count on my berry smoothie recipe being something to look forward to start your day with:

Start with a liquid such as coconut.  I recommend Young Thai Coconut (the white one)  I use half the coconut juice and half the coconut meat and safe the other half for tomorrow.  Put this in your blender first.
Fresh squeezed orange juice (1 or 2 valencia oranges).  1 whole peeled blood orange (when in season)
Fresh Pineapple at least 3/4 cup
fresh organic blueberries - at least 1 cup (I buy frozen wild boreal blueberries at Trader Joe's)
1 fresh mango or (frozen mango from Trader Joe's) Mango is optional and depends on my mood

There you have it, the makings of a fantastic delicious anti-oxidant vitamin c loaded pick you up and make you feel great breakfast.  You'll notice my amounts are flexible.  Experiment and go with your mood.  Sometimes I want more blueberries.  Sometimes I have a higher sed rate (inflammation measure) and need the bromelain from the pineapple and add more.

I rotate my fruit smoothies too, but I admit I need to rotate this one a little more often.  I also recommend  this juice book  "Juicing For Life" by Cherie Calbom & Maureen Keane.  It has smoothie recipes categorized according to your health issue.  It's always good to know what the fruits and vegetables are that will assist your healing for your particular problem.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment