RSS

Green Tea is now on the list of supplements that can cause liver damage!

In 2006 I participated in a liver study at University Of Michigan because the chemotherapy "cytoxan" I was taking was raising my liver enzymes to dangerous levels.  In other words, cytoxan was causing liver damage.  I turned lemons into lemonade and had the pleasure and opportunity to participate in a national liver study to determine what medications and supplements cause liver damage.

I regarded it as a golden opportunity because every time I went I learned about common prescriptions such as popular antibiotics being the culprit of liver damage.  I discovered  I had recently taken one of the toxic antibiotics on their list!  In fact half of the anti-biotics I was given while hospitalized in August 2006 were on their list of known agents causing irreversible liver damage!

Knowing what I know now, I always research every supplement and medication I am taking.  Even when I believe the doctor prescribing them has my best interests in their heart.  New information is revealed everyday at this amazing time in history and they may not have the time or take the time to thoroughly keep abreast as research results are updated.

I am in this liver study for 20 years and I receive a newsletter making me aware of their latest findings.  In this newsletter here are the latest 4 items found to cause liver damage:

Herbalife - used for weightloss, energy, and fitness

Green Tea extract - used to cause weight loss.  I want to emphasize they write "extract" next to Green Tea.  I still intend to drink green tea as an anti-oxidant, but I now decided to be sure it is always in moderation.

Usnic Acid - also used to cause weight loss.  Many of these items have already been taken off the market.

Black Cohosh - used to treat joint pain, muscle pain, bronchitis, and obesity.  I am sorry to see black cohosh on this list because I personally know people who have taken this successfully for a variety of different benefits.  It also happens to be used in numerous other combination supplements.

I should also clarify the way I interpret the green tea is in extract form.  They also have it worded as "unrefined" extracts of green tea.

As I continue to be updated with this newsletter I will pass this information on to my readers.  In fact, if there are readers out there who are aware of other medications and supplements you have new found information on, please comment on them below.  It is essential we band together and keep each other posted with our information in order to take the best care of our health.

My feeling about the supplements above is rather than use a supplement for weight loss, change the foods you chose to eat!  I know raw foodists who eat all day and they do not have a problem with their weight.  Educate yourself about the superfoods that bring benefits without the added calories.  Raw deserts are healthy, have benefits, and have fewer calories and no harmful fats.

The other conclusion I would like to remind you of is, supplements are powerful and they can be just as damaging as some traditional over the counter and prescription meds.  I am advocating finding a alternative practitioner you can regard as your partner in taking the best care of you possible.  Rather than go by hear say, at least once a year see your wellness coach and take inventory.  You may be taking supplements that can cause more harm than good!

I also want to make an observation about the target of the conclusions that were printed; interesting they did not print some of the traditional medications they had mentioned to me as being some of the most toxic for your liver?  Maybe they still intend to release that info in upcoming newsletters; something to be aware of.  I hope it is not a biased study toward alternative medicine?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment