RSS

Essential daily vitamins

Disclaimer - Before making any changes in your vitamins or supplements, check with your health care practitioner.  Everyone is diffferent and you might be currently taking a medication I am not.  Just to be safe, always check.  Also as many of you know, I am not a doctor and am just sharing my information based on my experience.  I do have some excellent traditional and alternative doctors who have given me these recommendations, and have some well researched information through friends.  I feel confident that this information is an excellent guideline for our health.   There are some other ones I take but feel they are a bit out of the mainstream.  I also rotate a variety of supplements for different reasons and have not mentioned them because they are on a as needed basis.

After chemotherapy I was out of energy and needed the best multi-vitamin I could afford.  I took a mini survey and went to 3 different vitamin stores and asked what is the best vitamin they recommend?  All three stores said
a 100% validated whole food vitamin called "Mega Food".  It is a high quality vitamin that gets absorbed into your body from a reputable company.  I especially notice the difference when I don't take it, I feel much better, think clearer, and have more energy when I take it on a daily basis.  I take 1 a day, but during chemo and months following I took 3 a day, especially for energy.

Vitamin B complex also by Mega Foods for the same reasons as stated above.  I take one per day.

CoEnzyme Q10 another must for added energy and is good for heart health.  It has a variety of benefits and is also considered by many leading authorities one everyone should take.  I take 100mg daily.

Vitamin D3 deficiencies can lead to big problems - be sure you take one a day.  Ask your doctor to do a vitamin D blood test.  My gynecologist said we should have at least a level of 50 on the test result. 

Vitamin K  Can help bone health and also reduce risk of breast cancer.  Read on pg. 247 of Suzanne Sommers book "Knockout".  It is especially important to balance K in conjunction with D3. 
These two are intended to be taken in tandem.  Studies indicate a minimum of  1 - 2 milligrams daily.

Vitamin C  I take an average of 250mg daily

MSM - great for skin and nails

Magnesium - I take CALM (1 teaspoon before bed) said by many to be the best out there.  But now I believe it is Ancient Mineral Oils spray magnesium.  8 squirts daily rubbed in to my legs and I don't get bad leg cramps very much anymore.  This is recommended by Tree Of Life Rejuvenation Center.

Calcium - I am evolving with this.  I was taking the mega food brand but then even my kidney doctor said to try and get the calcium from food (lots of dark leafy greens is one good source) and of course weight bearing exercise (tai chi is great for this).  David Wolfe has a different approach to calcium intake.  Our bodies cannot absorb calcium.  We need to take silica, D3, msm, and magnesium which are the things our body needs so it can make its own calcium.  When you take calcium supplements your body is not absorbing it and it leads to over calcification.  David Wolfe has some interesting talks on you tube about this topic; check it out.  If you are going to take regular calcium, take calcium citrate because it absorbs better than carbonate.  I asked 3 different rheumatologist for their recommendation on which one they thought was the best for someone with osteopenia (the stage before osteoporosis).

Fish oil, flax seed oil, and evening primrose - I take one of  each of these three times a day in rotation totalling at least 3 per day.  You could just take fish oil 3 times a day; the Barlean's lemon swirl liquid is my favorite and is a high quality one.  Great for the joints and can help avoid inflammation.  My kidney doctor recommended I take at least 3 per day, morning noon, and night.  He buys the one at Costco and highly recommends it.  I usually buy mine from Trader Joe's and believe it is a good one and especially for the price.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment