RSS

How I changed my diet to heal my kidney

Hippocrates says "Let Food Be Thy Medicine and Medicine Be Your Food".  I have found from personal kidney experience the food definitely makes a difference.  From Wegeners I had kidney involvement and my creatinine (measure of how much protein is spilling into urine)  went as high as 2.4.  My kidney doctor ordered a steroid infusion wash for 3 days at 700mg per day.
Gradually it fell to 1.9 and stayed there months.  I decided to become vegetarian again and watched it drop in a short amount of time to a range of 1.6 - 1.8.  After further research on the raw food diet I became vegan and averaged 50% raw everyday.  I asked my kidney doctor at the point of going raw, if my creatinine would drop much lower and he said that's probably as good as it is going to get.
I am so grateful today to say my creatinine is just 1 point above the high side of normal at 1.2 and is mostly staying at that number.  That is as low as it has gone since I went into hospital in Aug. 2006 when my baseline was at .07.  My diet fluctuates between being raw, vegan, and vegetarian.  I occasionally make exceptions for something extra special such as wild caught salmon (1 limit the intake to 3 - 4 ounces), steak Diane at Cheesecake Factory (It is so good there), and if I am travelling and feeling like I am not getting enough plant based protein I will make a few more exceptions.  I do take my protein/vitamin/green powder with me on the road and drink it with water in the morning.
Change your protein from animal to plant based protein and let us know in the comment box below what kind of results it has on your creatinine.
I should also point out, I tried not to take any medications that would tax my kidney.  I always asked the doctors questions like, what would the least harmful thing be that I could take for a headache?  They said tylenol.  I only took something for a headache when it was a last resort.  If you have kidney disease, check every medication you take with your doctors.  I was very careful about everything I ate or drank.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

3 comments:

Sue Z said...

Can you list some of the sources of plant protein please?

Tina Tierney Health Talks said...

Hi Sue:

Some sources of plant protein are

hemp seeds (I put this in my green smoothie and on my salads)
Tofu (in its original form)
almonds (sometimes I soak them overnight in water and make an almond shake) (soak 1 cup of almonds to 3 cups of water)
mung bean sprouts

Vegan but not raw

Beans

Many types of beans contain high amounts of protein. Varieties include kidney, mungo, yardlong, white, navy, lima, great northern, black and yellow for anywhere between 20 and 26 grams of protein per serving.

sprouted ezekial bread contains 4 grams of protein per slice (1 sandwich equals 8 grams of protein)
Morningstar spicy black bean burgers (1 burger contains 8 grams protein)

Quinoa - ancient bible grain

Spirulina - google this

Hope that gives you some choices

liya said...

I have kidney failure and have been on dailysis for a over a year and I am in the process of making change, taking supplements and herbs. I been a vegan now for two months and leaning forwarded to just raw soon. Thank you for sharing your story

Post a Comment